Interested in Computer-On-Module (COM) Boards?
Are you interested in Computer-on-Modules, Embedded Artists, EACOM boards and how to get started? Learn more below!
Why i.MX 6/7/8?
NXP’s i.MX 6/7/8 families are very attractive for a broad range of applications. Below are a few highlighted points:
- Powerful ARM® Cortex®-A core(s)
- suitable to run a feature-rich OS like Linux or Android
- Feature and performance scalable multicore platform,
single, dual or quad core architecture
- Extra Cortex-M4 core on some processors
- excellent bridge for microcontroller-centric designs
- suitable for running an real-time operating system (RTOS)
- can also be used to save power
- Rich on peripherals
- Excellent at advanced and feature-rich graphical user interfaces, including multimedia
- Top class energy efficiency
- Popular and successful processor families
- active roadmap with new processors
- very good Linux/Android BSP support
- a lot of third-party SW support
|For more detailed information, see these NXP links:|
|i.MX 6 Series Fact Sheet|
|i.MX 6 Series Comparison Table|
|i.MX 7 Series Fact Sheet|
|i.MX 8 Series Fact Sheet|
|i.MX 8M Series Fact Sheet|
|i.MX 8M Mini Series Fact Sheet|
|i.MX Landing page|
Embedded Artists focus on Computer-on-Modules (COM) and have developed the EACOM Board Specification. There are many benefits with working with Computer-on-Module (COM) boards:
- You get an off-the-shelf component with long term availability
- You get a stable and proven platform and lower your development risk
- You get shorter time to market
- You can focus on your core business
- You get a family of boards and a roadmap to grow
- You get lower total cost
- You get a development partner in Embedded Artists
- We help you become successful!
How to get started?
Assuming you are convinced that i.MX 6/7/8 is a great processor family, Embedded Artists is a good partner and EACOM boards will give you an advantage – it’s time to start:
- Read the EACOM Selection Guide – it is well spent time!
– Select a stocked EACOM board – and associated Developer’s Kit – as a start for your development, see table below
– If you still have questions or want to discuss aspects of your project, don’t hesitate to contact us
- Start developing your proof-of-concept.
– If there is an original application – get important functionality ported to the new platform
– Use the Developer’s Kit hardware as far as possible
- Verify/test your design in the field
- Design your final COM Carrier board or use our
ready-to-go Carrier boards.
- Put your product on the market!
- When production volumes increase, cost optimize
your solution with customized EACOM board or Single-Board Computer (SBC) solutions, see sections below:
|EACOM board||Commercial temp. range||Industrial temp. range||Recommended stocked alt.|
|iMX6 UltraLite COM||Stocked1||Not stocked2|
|iMX6 Solo COM||Not stocked2||Not stocked2||iMX6 SoloX or DualLite|
|iMX6 SoloX COM||Stocked1||Stocked1|
|iMX6 DualLite COM||Stocked1||Stocked1|
|iMX6 Dual COM||Not stocked2||Not stocked2||iMX6 Quad|
|iMX6 Quad COM||Not stocked2||Stocked1|
|iMX7 Solo COM||Not stocked2||Not stocked2||iMX7 Dual|
|iMX7 Dual COM||Stocked1||Stocked1|
|iMX7 Dual uCOM||Stocked1||Not stocked2|
|iMX7ULP uCOM||Not stocked2||Stocked1|
|iMX8M-Mini uCOM||Not stocked2||Stocked1|
|iMX8M COM||Stocked1||Not stocked2|
1 Stocked boards are available in smaller volumes directly from our stock. Production volume purchases should always be planned to guarantee availability.
2 Not stocked boards are available with minimum order quantity (MOQ) – contact us for more information.
Customized EACOM Boards?
Embedded Artists offers many custom design services.
It is possible to order customized EACOM boards with a minimum order quantity (MOQ) – contact us for more information. Examples of custom design services are:
- The most common option is to have a different memory configuration:
– Different memory sizes on DDR3L SDRAM, eMMC Flash and QSPI Flash.
- Features on some boards can be removed, for example:
– Remove second Ethernet interface
– Remove QSPI flash
More extensive changes can also be done on EACOM boards to create truly customized i.MX 6/7/8-based COM boards. Our proven core designs minimize the development time and risk. Examples of customization are:
- Replace eMMC Flash with (unmanaged) MLC/SLC NAND Flash.
- Change internal pinning to make certain pins available.
- Different pinning on MXM3 edge pins, including but not limited to, SMARC compatible pinning.
- Different I/O voltage levels on all or parts of the pins.
- Different board form factor, for example SODIMM-200, high-density connectors on bottom side or MXM3 compatible boards that are higher (>50 mm).
- Different input supply voltage range, for example 5V input.
For high-volume designs, we can also create Single Board Computer (SBC) solutions where our core designs are integrated with customer specific interfaces. Our proven core designs minimize the development time and risk.