Interested in Computer-On-Module (COM) Boards?
Are you interested in Computer-on-Modules, Embedded Artists, EA(u)COM boards and how to get started? Learn more below!
Why i.MX RT/6/7/8/9?
NXP’s i.MX RT/6/7/8/9 families are very attractive for a broad range of applications. Below are a few highlighted points:
i.MX 6/7/8/9 – Application Processors
- Powerful ARM® Cortex®-A core(s)
- suitable to run a feature-rich OS like Linux or Android
- Feature and performance scalable multicore platform,
single, dual or quad core architecture
- Heterogenous Cortex-M core on some application processors
- excellent bridge for microcontroller-centric designs
- suitable for running an real-time operating system (RTOS)
- can also be used to save power
- Rich on peripherals
- Excellent at advanced and feature-rich graphical user interfaces, including multimedia
- Top class energy efficiency
- Popular and successful processor families
- active roadmap with new processors
- very good Linux/Android BSP support
- a lot of third-party SW support
i.MX RT – Crossover Microcontrollers
- Powerful ARM Cortex-M core(s)
- suitable to run a real time operating system like FreeRTOS or Azure RTOS
- allows you to continues using a microcontroller design without having to swithc to an application processor
- top class performance with some family members running on 1GHz core frequency!
Why Embedded Artists and EA(u)COM Boards?
Embedded Artists is a reliable partner – here is a list of reasons Why you should work with Embedded Artists?
Embedded Artists focus on Computer-on-Modules (COM) and have developed the EA(u)COM Board Specification. There are many benefits with working with Computer-on-Module (COM) boards:
- You get an off-the-shelf component with long term availability
- You get a stable and proven platform and lower your development risk
- You get shorter time to market
- You can focus on your core business
- You get a family of boards and a roadmap to grow
- You get lower total cost
- You get a development partner in Embedded Artists
- We help you become successful!
How to get started?
Assuming you are convinced that i.MX RT/6/7/8/9 is a great processor family, Embedded Artists is a good partner and EA(u)COM boards will give you an advantage – it’s time to start:
- Read the EA(u)COM Selection Guide – it is well spent time! If you have any questions at this time don’t hesitate to contact us.
- Start developing your proof-of-concept.
– If there is an original application – get important functionality ported to the new platform
– Use the Developer’s Kit hardware as far as possible
- Verify/test your design in the field
- Design your final (u)COM Carrier board or use our
ready-to-go Carrier board designs.
- Put your product on the market!
- When production volumes increase, cost optimize your solution with customized EA(u)COM board or Single-Board Computer (SBC) solutions, see section below:
Customized EA(u)COM Boards?
Embedded Artists offers many custom design services. Contact Embedded Artists for a discussion about different options.
It is possible to order customized EA(u)COM boards with a minimum order quantity (MOQ) – contact us for more information. Examples of custom design services are:
- The most common option is to have a different memory configuration:
- Different memory sizes on SDRAM, eMMC Flash and QSPI Flash.
- Features on some boards can be removed, for example:
- Remove an Ethernet interface
- Remove QSPI flash
More extensive changes can also be done on EA(u)COM boards to create truly customized i.MX RT/6/7/8/9-based COM boards. Our proven core designs minimize the development time and risk. Examples of customization are:
- Replace eMMC Flash with (unmanaged) MLC/SLC NAND Flash.
- Change internal pinning to make certain pins available.
- Different pinning on DF40C connectors.
- Different pinning on MXM3 edge pins, including but not limited to, SMARC compatible pinning.
- Different I/O voltage levels on all or parts of the pins.
- Different board form factor, for example SODIMM-200, high-density connectors on bottom side.
- Different input supply voltage range.
For high-volume designs, we can also create Single Board Computer (SBC) solutions where our core designs are integrated with customer specific interfaces. Our proven core designs minimize the development time and risk.